Sunday, January 25, 2009

Batch No. 50 -- Grand Funk Aleroad

I just heard from the Best of Show winner, Al Buck, who brewed the marvelous Grand Funk Aleroad, a Gueuze. I eMailed him last night to let him know and his wife Nina read it this morning. He was brewing up a batch at the time and was reportedly jumping around his kitchen when we received word. Congrats Al, you deserve it!

This beer reminds me a lot of Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze. It's sour for sure, but there's so much finesse in the layered flavors of leather, barnyard funk, citrus / lemon, and indescribable qualities that make this so wonderful. Al told me this is a blend of a 1 year old lambic and a 2 year old lambic. We'll brew this in mid-February of this year, and the 2nd batch in February of 2010. At the proper aging rate, this beer will be released in the Spring of 2011. Based on my growth projections, we'll be somewhere around Batch 300 when this beer is released (or at l hope!).

I wonder where Al got the name from. We'll most certainly be calling it this-- it's a damn funny name. Al is looking into traveling to our brewery to brew this with us. I hope he does.

2 comments:

jfitzy78 said...

Hopefully youll be sending some of these special one offs to Philly!

Cheers

Unknown said...

grand funk railroad.
what a great band.